7.16.2009

MONKEYIN' AROUND


Hey, hey, it’s my birthday
And people say we monkey around
But we're too busy singing

To put anybody down...


Or something like that... what a wonderful day yesterday was. 


Birthday proceedings always amuse me.  We watch people sing, blow out candles, lie about their age, fear their new age, distribute silly gifts - some serious, too.  It can be tremendous fun.  The entire lying-about-your-age-thing has incredible potential for irony.  When we’re under 30 or over 65, our age is quite discernible.  Those who lie are then between the 2 ages.  Hence, it is only a matter of time before lying or refusing to tell simply surrenders to a logic the birthday boy girl has previously refused to acknowledge.  I thus suppose the liar’s motive is to hold fast to a lie for their own, internal, esteeming needs.


Yesterday, though, I attempted something new...


In the morning, instead of prioritizing the activities of the day, planning out my ventures, pondering who would remember and who would call... I released my family and friends from any expectations.  In the morning, I simply spent time in quiet gratitude...


Thank you for this friend...


Thank you for my family...


Thank you for the family I grew up with and admire still today...


No, no one is perfect this side of heaven, but that doesn’t negate the blessing...


I have been blessed by my family and friends... by those who prepared me for now... by those here with me now...  by those who have shaped me... through whom God influenced me...  I would not be who I am today save for the friends and family who intentionally invested their energies in me...


Here... there... close and far away...


Thank God for them... those genuine blessings in my life.


It was a wonderful day.  It is amazing how time focused in gratitude softens the heart and keeps the focus in life where it needs to be...


Off of self.   


My birthday.  A beautiful day.  p.s. Who do you need to say “thanks” for today?


AR


1 comment:

Mary said...

Happy (late) birthday, Ann!!
I planted blue rug juniper in my yard in honor of you:)