7.05.2009

CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN


According to the Barna Group, 9 out of 10 adults admit that their faith plays a meaningful role in their life.  Quoting the California-based, marketing research firm, “It is still fashionable in America for people to believe in God.”  Hence, with the abundance of conviction, why does there still seem to exist significant chaos, lack of peace, and hypocrisy among us?  It would seem that faith should impact its followers.  Tell me:  has faith changed you?  Deeply changed you?  What difference does faith make in how you think and behave? 


We hear multiple, admirable persons articulate their religious beliefs... often in rather public moments...


“I feel so amazing... I’m so blessed... I thank my God, Jehovah, for letting me stay - get healthy through this match...” 

- Serena Williams, after winning yesterday’s Ladies Singles Championship at Wimbledon


Has your faith changed you?


“I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life.” 

- Then Presidential Candidate, Sen. Barack Obama


So how has faith changed you?


“First, I want to thank God, man, ‘cause without Him, none of this would be possible.”

 - Orlando’s favorite Superman impersonator, Dwight Howard, upon reaching the NBA Finals


Yes, but has faith changed you?


“Today, I thank God for Watergate. It taught me the greatest lesson of my life, the paradox of power: that he who seeks to save his life will lose it, but he who loses his life for Jesus’ sake shall find it.” 

- Chuck Colson, former White House Special Counsel, whose transformation has been undeniably radical


I do not claim to know the inner workings of the hearts of the men and women above; all may be admirably genuine.  The essence is that for those whose faith is authentic, it is reasonable to believe that it would impact how they think and behave - how we think and behave...  unless, of course, instead of adopting a faith, we simply advocate a cafeteria approach...


“Cafeteria plans” are popular in the workplace, for just as individuals may opt for their food of choice, employees may choose benefits of their choice.  They select the benefits which are most applicable to their family needs.  I often wonder if such is the case for faith and explains the sometimes lack of authentic change in behavior and belief.  Instead of adopting the full menu, we pick and choose which aspects of God we wish to believe in... usually accepting the benefits that are easiest to both explain and apply.  That way (how nice) we can continue to base our actions on what feels good or keeps others happy - as opposed to what may be best or even true.


Authentic faith is hard.  It is hard due to the totality of change that should accompany the application.


AR

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A question I like to ask people is, “What is your understanding of God?” The answers will differ greatly in a congregation of people who have listened to the same pastor for years. It differs from a Williams to an Obama to a Howard. How it differs will alter the answer to “Has your faith changed you?” How we answer both questions will be determined by what of God our personal humanness will resist and what we want our God to be. I was raised in a family of faith but my sense of God is totally different than it was decades ago for I realize that, “Now we see in a mirror dimly,” and it’s okay that I, “will not fully understand,” yet.

mary said...

How true! We want to fit God into our little box: take what we want and ignore what is difficult or unpleasant.
In The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe, Lucy and Timnus are watching Aslan walk into the sunset. She says, "He is good." To which the Faun replies, "But he is not a tame lion."
Both aspects of God have to be accepted for faith to change a person.

The Truth Box said...

My faith is defined by my belief that I can have a relationship with God. It is beyond "is there a God" or "was Jesus God." Its about Christ's death paving the way for a relationship with God. I am even getting less and less interested in the eternal life aspect of faith. If I get to live forever ... great. But greater still is right now, I am allowed complete access to the one true God of the universe. I can talk to him, feel his presence whenever. That is something I get excited about when I think about the word "faith."

Anonymous said...

Good job. I like how your blog site looks.