1.18.2009

DEAR MR. PRESIDENT (#1)


Greetings, Mr. President. I write you today for two purposes: one, to thank you for your service, and two, to share a few, layman’s insights from the past 8 years.

It comes as no secret, that your polling numbers have plummeted these past 3 years (sorry, I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but I’ve never been one to ignore the truth). In fact, Scott Rasmussen’s “Rasmussen Reports” posted this week that 57% of the American public now believe you are one of “the five worst Presidents in U.S. history.” Also in the name of one not ignoring truth, I ponder the depth of information those polled possessed, assuming they were equally knowledgeable of the 42 others who have held your position. Sometimes, we Americans, criticize and praise most those we know best - those who are freshest in our minds - without ever acknowledging that we are historically ignorant in regard to the intricacies of those who came before you. Funny thing, we Americans.

Primarily, I think the most sensitive events during your Presidency were: one, the decision to invade Iraq, and two, the perceived slow response to Hurricane Katrina.

For some of us, sir, our judgment of you shall always center around those two events. Some of us are fairly passionate in the expression of our objection. Some of us are even disrespectful (save any reader encouraged by “the Intramuralist”). But as I reflect on some of the decisions on which I disagreed, I am reminded of your words from Thursday’s adieu: “I have followed my conscience and done what I thought was right. You may not agree with some decisions I have made. But I hope you can agree that I was willing to make the tough decisions.”

Juxtaposing being a citizen to being the President, I have to assume you had more information at your disposal than I had when you made those tough decisions. Truth is, we ordinary citizens have to rely primarily on the mainstream media, which has proven to be somewhat of an unbalanced filter of objective information. Hence, I have to trust that you knew more than I. Hence, I have to trust your conscience - agree or not. Based on your recent words on behalf of Presidents Bush 41, Carter, and Clinton, I know you desire we ford the same leniency and respect to your successor.

A few specific thank you’s... Thank you for your work on AIDS in Africa. President Clinton had a similar desire, but you made it a reality. You initiated a 5 year, $15 billion plan to fight AIDS in 2003, and then you followed such priority with an additional 5 year, $30 billion extension 4 years later. In the words of U2’s AIDS activist, Bono, “I’m standing up and I’m applauding the President.”

Thank you for your leadership “post 9/11.” Pundits are quick to acknowledge that we haven’t faced an attack on American soil since that tragic September day. For you or against you, that is a tremendous accomplishment. On 9/11, so many of us asked, “How could this happen? How come we didn’t know? How did we allow this to happen?” Under your leadership... under your establishment of the Dept. of Homeland Security... under the passion with which you confronted terrorism and the Islamic jihadists, it hasn’t happened since. This is arguably your greatest accomplisment. We are each safer and better because of it.

And thank you, finally, for introducing us to Laura. Her grace and authentic, ladylike feminism is an example to us all. She has been a advocate for literacy, early childhood development, and women’s health - specifically heart disease and breast cancer. Sometimes she even seemed more popular than you, Mr. President. But noting that unique Texan smirk, you never seemed to mind.

Best wishes to you as you return to Texas, President Bush. Again, thank you for your service. Thank you for your leadership. And thank you for respectfully handing “the torch” to President Obama. Our country needs that. We need the example of respectfully handing off that torch. We are too polarized. We are so polarized, in fact, that some of us will refrain from acknowledging the good you have accomplished.

Best wishes. God bless you. And thank you.

AR

No comments: