1.22.2009

ALL CHILDISHNESS LEFT BEHIND


“When I was child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child...”

As President Obama said in Tuesday’s inauguration address, “In the words of scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things."

TOP 10 THINGS TO SET ASIDE (...ahem, this could lead to change ALL of us can believe in...)

10. Partisan disrespect. From those who vehemently vowed to avoid viewing any celebration of a President Obama - to those who taunted President Bush with “good riddance” in accordance with his exit. Intelligent as they may be, both fall into the disrespectful category.

9. Celebrities who wish to come back as a politician in their next life (...but still want me to buy tickets to their movies and watch their TV shows NOW!).

8. Vulgar attacks on candidates for their lack of experience. I will continue to promote the idea that character trumps experience. While acknowledging that public service has value, I would still rather elect a man or woman of integrity before one who has been elected 43 times and has polished the ability to recite partisan talking points without cue cards.

7. Trash. Did you see the mall after all those people?

6. The craving for a monarchy. Surely we can find future candidates other than Clinton’s and Bush’s to lead our country.

5. The belief that President Obama is a beard short of the Second Coming. Yes, he brings hope. Yes, his unifying words are refreshing. But his own words will also tell you he is simply a man... not the Savior of the world.

4. Governor Blagojevich. He was thrilled with the inauguration! It meant no cameras on him.

3. The facade that the persons behind those cameras are objective. Respectful kudos given to David Gregory, Brit Hume, Jim Lehrer, Bob Schieffer, and the late Tim Russert. If they had/have an opinion, they kept it off their sleeve. But some journalists (i.e. MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann) cling to those partisan cue cards.

2. Mexican food in the White House - the favorite food of our last two Presidents. Pass the salsa! Here’s to Obama's All-American pizza.

Last but not least... 1. Campaigning. It's too long, too partisan, and full of too much manipulation and self-righteousness. (...at least for another couple of years... wait... won’t Hillary be running in 2012? Won’t she start in 2010? Oh, wait... Barack took care of that... smart man, that guy...)


AR

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, a bit late chiming in on this one, sorry about that. And I feel as though when I am leaving my comments they are perhaps a bit left leaning--imagine!? However, I am want to wonder how Keith Olberman is mentioned but no Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity? And, though he is no journalist, Rush Limbaugh with his "I have four words for President Obama--I hope you fail.". The partisan voices of the right are equal to those on the left I am afraid.

On a separate note, I like your clever title!