11.04.2008

THIS IS THE DAY...

TOP 10 THINGS I LEARNED FROM THIS ELECTION CYCLE:

10. People will do anything to win.

9. Tina Fey is a comedic genius.

8. Limericks using “Obama” can be fun (“Homearama”… yo momma…).

7. Jesus would not be a Democrat OR a Republican.

6. Objectivity in the media cannot be assumed.

5. No party has a true grasp of all that encompasses social justice.

4. “Feminism” does not mean “in support of all women.”

3. People need to pray for our nation more than once every 4 years.

2. Most people don’t know how to respect those with whom they disagree.

And for this playful artist…

1. Both Presidential and ‘Veep’ candidates will be fun to caricature over the next 4 years!


As this election cycle closes, I find myself thankful that it’s over, weary of what it entailed, and hopeful for what is to come – and that’s regardless of whom I voted for. Two years for a campaign is too much… too much money, too much mudslinging, and too much manipulation. Each campaign attempts to manipulate us by promoting desired images, but not necessarily reality. Last I could tell, neither the Messiah, the anti-Christ, nor “George W” was running; neither Biden nor Palin was an idiot; and no administration has been a complete failure.

Let’s move ahead, being respectful of our leaders. Let’s get rid of using the word “hate.” And let’s engage in respectful dialogue in this country, remembering above all else that we pledge ourselves to be one nation under God, with liberty and justice for all.

Time to run… need to find that sketch pad…

AR

9 comments:

Leslie Ober said...

Amen, sister!! I especially like your #7. I have a friend who has a bumper sticker that says, "God is not a Republican...and he's not a Democrat either!" I totally agree!

dtim said...

Hi Ann, Great start, I love top 10 lists. Congrats on your new Blog. I'll be following.

sharon said...

Hey Ann- I couldn't agree more! I will be happy when it's finally over. Enjoyed your insightful top 10... I,too will be following.

Anonymous said...

Ann, I think your blog is the most reasonable thing I have read in this entire election season. Looking forward to hear more from you. I loved the top ten list too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, a reasonable Christian during election time. Very refreshing!

Anonymous said...

Isn’t it amazing how dependent we can be on others to shape & mold our ideas & thoughts at times; how we can strongly support or oppose an individual, institution, or idea without doing the research ourselves? At the beginning of last week I listened to a girl at work who stated that she was probably a democrat because that’s what her mother is. She then went on to explain that it really didn’t matter anyway because she had never registered to vote (36+ yrs old). I was appropriately appalled in her lack of political identity until I tried to give her a really clear, detailed description of the difference between republicans and democrats.

Anonymous said...

This election has been two years in the making. Many people need some time to rest their bleary eyes and refocus on the new task at hand. Obama is our president elect, and it will take the work of many people coming together to strengthen our country. Are we ready for this journey?

musicman55 said...

Good Luck Ann on the successful start of your new blog. I hope that this will be a rewarding experience that will bring you much personal satisfaction.

It seems as though you have quite a few fans already. I salute what you are doing and I wish you the best.

musicman55 said...

Here are a few thoughts regarding President Obama. As Ann knows, I was one of his supporters in both the Georgia Primary and in the General Election.

I thought it was an incredibly significant occurrence in our history that an intelligent and articulate Black man was given the opportunity by the voters of our nation to be our next President.

I salute Barack Obama for the campaign that he ran and I give the American voters much praise for supporting him. I wish President Obama and all of our citizens the best.