11.18.2008

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH


I’ve noticed an unhealthy pattern between my 11 and 9 year old boys. Every now and then, usually when low on sleep and thus on patience, a passionate, verbal argument begins to ensue. Gradually yet swiftly, the volume increases, the respect decreases, until one child will actually put their hands to their ears and declare, “I’m not listening! …blah, blah, blah, blah.”

And to think that only kids do that.

Isn’t that what we as adults do – especially when we feel passionate about an issue? Don’t we justify not listening in the name of righteousness? Perhaps self-righteousness?

How about on abortion, for example? (If you know me, you know I don’t believe in such a thing as a “taboo topic.”)

Both sides are passionate about their opinions on this issue. Both have valid reasons for their opinions. But I’m having trouble listening to either of you because you’re so busy shouting at me.

…blah, blah, blah, blah…

Democrats, quit trying to convince me that the baby isn’t alive. I’ve heard that beautiful, miraculous heartbeat…

Republicans, quit ignoring that for some people, especially in the poorer communities, this is an agonizing decision. You need to empathize better…

We need to find a way to talk about abortion in our country. We can start by agreeing that the practice should be rare. Let’s take our hands off our ears and start listening to one another. I know of no one’s opinion which has changed because someone of an opposing viewpoint upped their volume.

It’s time for an end to the blah, blah, blah, blah.


AR

2 comments:

Leslie Ober said...

So true...so true. And truthfully, with the abortion topic, I believe that deep down inside, whether a person is pro-choice or pro-life, we can ALL agree that it is not a good thing. God created life, and He also gave us choice. Hmmmmm.

SRA said...

Well, you've got me taking my fingers out of my ears girlfriend with that one! Kudos Kiddo! Love it!