11.23.2008

FORGOTTEN BUT NOT GONE


The morning newspaper is full of intriguing insights. Let me offer a small sampling:

“The $25 billion rescue plan, desperately sought…”
“…An attempt to burnish his gangsta rapper persona…”
“Until we get past this malaise and gloom and doom…”
“The potential for conflict will be greater in 2025…”
“As the nation marks the 45th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination…”

Question for you: where’s God? Where’s the reference to Him being in control? … of our need for His help? … or of credit to His creation – as opposed to promotion of our own performance?

The closest I can get to an acknowledgement of someone who is greater than we comes from the sports section: “Freshman point guard saves the day!”

Where is God? Can we not speak of Him? In the name of political correctness, can we not refer to God any more?

The following insight makes me shudder: "But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious Hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own."

That’s from Abraham Lincoln over 100 years ago. If Lincoln thought God was forgotten then, what does that say about now?

Making me shudder even more is the realization that in the course of history, every nation that has forgotten God has at some time ceased to exist.

With the current, serious societal activity, this week of Thanksgiving, I know what I need to remember. I know what I need to teach my kids. And I know who I need to start thanking first…


AR

1 comment:

SRA said...

You're right Ann....Gratitude precedes Contentment....in God's kingdom. He has a wonderful timing and sequence to things!

Have a wonderful Turkey Day! Know that I'll be giving thanks for great friends like you!

Love, Lori