12.21.2008

MERRY _________!


With continued wishes to be both merry and happy, I began reflecting on what actually would result in tangible more glee. And so, while I withhold my #1 wish for this Tuesday’s upcoming blog, I do believe the following would add a little more “merry” to the season.

I wish self-ambition would be less dominant. Bear with me for a moment; ambition is good, and self-ambition can certainly propel the wise man forward. However, when self-ambition trumps the common good, I am disheartened. It’s as if we are witnessing foolishness play itself out on a practical stage. I am wondering what else it could be that motivates the Illinois Governor to cling to any leftover political clout. Why does he refrain from tendering his resignation? We do not need any politician – regardless of political party – who looks out for self more than state. That is not public service.

I wish name recognition was a little less impressive. Again, I ask you to follow me here. “A good name” is of vital importance. Once you lose it, it’s difficult to gain it back. But sometimes we value a name more than the depth of one’s actual qualifications. What’s in a name? It was an initial driver for Taft in Ohio and Ewing, Jr. in the NBA draft (…granted, he was also really TALL!). Yet do I dare pose the question – with her political interest now confirmed – as to what would happen if the distinguished and articulate – but non-holding-office-ever – Caroline Kennedy had the last name of “Palin” instead? Truthfully, I am one who finds something captivating in them both, but the reality is that names get our attention – sometimes even our vote – whether the person is qualified or not.

Lastly, I wish political correctness was less magnified. I know of a local school where Santa cookies – let me say that again: SANTA COOKIES! – are not allowed. They are not allowed in that school to acknowledge anything other than the fact that it is now winter. (Come to think of it… I do think they are allowed to declare if it’s snowing or not.) To our Jewish friends, we should wish them a meaningful Hanukah… our African friends, a joy-filled Kwanzaa… and it’s equally ok to acknowledge that December 25th is Christmas, the day Christians celebrate the incarnation of the Messiah. True tolerance means allowing an acknowledgement of what a day actually is – as opposed to ignoring that a day exists. It’s ok to acknowledge Hanukah, Kwanzaa, and Christmas.

So ho ho ho… merry Christmas! Happy Hanukah! Happy Kwanzaa! And a Seinfeldious Festivus to all!

Ah, yes… and to all a good night.

AR

1 comment:

Leslie Ober said...

Amen, sister! But what about "Happy Yule," or "Ramadan Mubarak," which means "May God grant you a blessed month" during Ramadan? Oh...and don't forget Rohatsu!! ;)

I found a very interesting article on the different celebrations this time of year at: http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2000/12/A-Multifaith-Gift-Giving-Guide.aspx?

Enjoy! :)