12.09.2008

CHOOSING WISELY


Last week I had the opportunity to visit with a friend, who sweetly shared with me her fond reflections on growing up in a small town – something many of us miss in very comfortable, suburban America. My friend, who currently chooses suburban life, humbly shared the “Keilloresque” benefits of a small town heritage.

It truly is a place where “everybody knows your name.” It’s a place where friends and neighbors regularly drop in on one another unannounced – often daily. It’s also a place where you find yourself arguably a little more accepting, because even if you passionately disagree with one another, the same people may be dropping in again the next day. You go to school together… cheer on the same teams… share in the community successes… work on the community challenges. You laugh and cry together. These people have learned to invest in one another – to take the time to be with one another. They have learned the joy and the sharpening that comes only from relationship.

I am reminded of the wise teacher, who arrived in a new town after multiple speaking engagements. He was somewhat wearied and found rest at the home of two sisters; he was also relieved to have some quieter moments with a smaller audience. There was no PowerPoint presentation to prepare! But there’s something precious about that investment – about those one-on-one relationships. And so the man sat down with the sisters, fording them opportunity to ask questions and glean more from his wisdom. One sister actually sat at his feet! The other, however, was distracted by all the self-deemed, necessary preparations, and thus, she missed this time, hurrying about in the kitchen. Finally, the busy sister disrupted the teaching, sternly announcing, “Teacher, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself?! Tell her to get on her feet and help me!” Aware of all relationships in that room, the man gently corrected the hurried sister. “My dear friend, you are worried and distracted about many things. But relationships are always more important than things. Your sister has chosen wisely.”

Funny… these days we supposedly wish for peace on Earth and goodwill toward men, but it’s hard to be peaceful when we’re so busy “doing”! We buy, bake, bake, buy, wrap, write, toast egg nog, you-name-it. We’re often so busy “doing” that there is no time to sit down and enjoy one another… resting in the holidays… finding meaning in the season… investing in those relationships. Relationships are more important than things.

Small town has it right. They seem to be choosing wisely. Perhaps that should be our prayer this Christmas.

P.S. Only 16 days left…

AR

2 comments:

SRA said...

Once again, you fill my heart with thought and delight! Choosing Wisely means making time for who and what is important in life. God, your family, friends and those in need. Thanks for the wonderful reminder that even in the heart of a big city like Cincinnati, we can still find and experience that small town love!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ann. I have been working on my Martha side that I tend to draw towards. I've come a long way and your story reminds me that this time its even more important to avoid that tendency. Hey I'm a Sanguine/Choleric, what can I say! Thanks Ann. You are a blessing.