3.08.2009

PEANUT BUTTER


I pray you are sitting down. For some, this may be a challenging discussion... more on the grotesque side of life, if you will. Also, I apologize beforehand should I offend any loyal, Intramuralist readers. Some conversations are simply difficult. I must tell you that as a child, I learned to love crunchy peanut butter on my ice cream.

Granted, while my father’s example was undoubtedly responsible for my behavior, I am thankful my ice cream toppings never neared his more, shall we say, creative selection (...can you say cheese and maple syrup?).

Nonetheless, when the craving comes as an adult, I enjoy this delicacy in the privacy of my own home. Few see me. Few witness to either cheer or jeer. Granted, if the world knew, some would say it is unhealthy for me. Others would rally behind me. Still more would note the grotesque quality, but would add that my choice impacts no one; thus, my choice matters not. Each are valid arguments. Reasonable people reach distinctly different conclusions, and respectful dialogue in the dairy debate (meaning no shaming of another opinion) could be beneficial for us to learn from... especially when listening to my peanut butter passion.

However, since I live in a federal constitutional republic, the supreme power rests not in my individual desire, but rather, in our citizens as a whole, who are entitled to vote for their representation and essentially establish the law. We have executive, legislative, and judicial representation. Each of these representatives must then abide by a constitution, a document outlining the supreme law of the republic. At both the national and state level, the constitution can only be amended by the vote of its citizens. At the state level, the only caveat is that I cannot contradict the expressed rights of the national document. Hence, if the citizens of my state gathered in majority agreement to disallow crunchy peanut butter on ice cream, even though it brings me great joy and I would vehemently disagree with said decision, the citizens are entitled to that opinion. No judge nor attorney general has more authority than the vote of the people.

To be fair, there have been moments in this country where we have voted for constitutional amendments only to later rescind them. For example, the sale, manufacture, and transportation of alcohol for consumption was prohibited by a vote of the people via the 18th Amendment. However, 14 years later, this amendment was repealed. The key: ratification and repeal both proceeded through a vote of the people. While we may disagree with the contents of any amendment, as a nation, we must be careful if we ever project the power of the people onto a judge or general. Such violates the very definition of a republic and establishes a perilous precedent.

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

I sure do hope they let me keep peanut butter on my ice cream.

AR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As the leadoff subject of your blog today I would have your readers know that my style was not to insist but only to set a model for your choices of things like faith, political party, brew and yes, ice cream topping. And I might add, I believe you have made excellent choices.