3.24.2009

FREE THROWS


Each of us dons different hats. Some more tasteful than others. If I fail wearing my hat as a “SPEWT” (that would be my subtle, semi-superhero title as a combined “Speaker, Parent, Encourager, Writer, and Teacher”), I have long felt I would pursue a position coaching college basketball. There is something within that madness of March and sweetness of sixteen that is highly gravitating.

As a coach, I would teach that the game is approximately 35% physical and 65% mental; talent alone will cease to win a championship. It is what gives credence to the theory that any team is capable of winning any game once they step onto that court. Such is why the ever-inspiring Jim Valvano and his Wolfpack were able to deny “Phi Slamma Jamma’s Dream” in 1983. It also serves as reason why last year’s talented Memphis team ceded overtime (and eventually the tournament title) to those hovering Jayhawks. John Calipari’s Tigers missed 4 of 5 free throws that would have put the game and the title out of reach, paving the way for a dramatic, Kansas comeback, recovering from 9 points down with only 2:12 left to play.

The point is when you lose focus of the end goal, the game to get there begins to rattle - both above and below the rim. If you cannot control what’s in your head, your head will be clouded with pressures surrounding self most of all. You then begin to focus on things of lesser importance. Hence, the missed free throws.

In basketball if we lose sight of the team’s success, spurred on by stingy defense and offensively, “finding the open man,” scoring becomes painful (Note: see Ohio State vs. Siena, last 10 minutes of game, Friday, March 20th).

The same holds true for those of us who refrain from athletic competition: if you lose sight of where you wish to go in life, you will be rattled along the way. You will begin to focus on things of lesser importance... things that distract you from focusing on what is good and true and right in this world. Perhaps they are those little, daily irritants. Perhaps they are matters seemingly even greater. Usually, they have a lot to do with “I, me, my, myself.” No matter what, they have the potential to throw you off your game.

There was a time in my life I was involved in a relationship that became unhealthy. It was demanding. There was a lot of self involved, and best said, it did not spur me on things that were greater. The unhealthiness of that friendship then kept me from being effective when wearing my other hats; it threw me off my entire game.

Where is your focus today? Is it on something that is good and true and right in this world? Or do I dare ask... is it on something that more revolves around the “me and myself”?

Here’s to keeping focused... hitting all 5 of those free throws...

AR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Ann. It will keep me focused and spiritually healthy as I head off for work today. Especially, when I recognize how important simple little things like the "free throws" in life can be.