11.06.2008

THIS IS STILL THE DAY...

“Are you ready for some football?!”

Previously this year, there was a heated debate evolving among friends in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Who should assume the quarterback reins of our beloved Packers?

It was a passionate debate… do we go with the old or the new? The trusted experience or the fresh inspiration? Truth told – when you threw the reporters out of the room – it was obvious there were reasonable, objective arguments on both sides of the playing field.

Yet when the youthful Aaron Rodgers triumphed over Brett Favre last summer, Favre fans had to wrestle with the question: “What should I do now?”

“…do I support my team even though I thought the other guy would be a more effective leader? I have a choice: either I renounce my status and root on those evil Vikings and Bears (the Lions don’t count much this year) – or I remember that I’m a Packers’ fan first, and in order for our team to near any level of greatness, I need to respect the QB, whether I previously cheered him on or not.”

Those who favored Rodgers also learned a lesson. After all, if they didn’t graciously grasp the reality that Favre’s loyal service had made Green Bay a better place to be, they missed an opportunity for growth; they fostered arrogance instead of wisdom. Let none of us be arrogant. No quarterback is perfect; even the quarterback of the future will throw his share of interceptions (He will even do so on national TV!). Hence, I pray our QB has the grace and humility to handle those moments wisely.

It matters not whether I preferred Rodgers or Favre. I’ve never been too fond of wearing green, and that gold has always been a little too bright for me. But I will tell you that I appreciate what Favre did in Green Bay; his leadership spurred on an era of integrity, creativity, and success on the field. I also look forward to what Rodgers will do, even if he employs a completely different offensive scheme. Let me be clear; there are a few calls in Rodgers’ playbook that concern me greatly, and I, for one, will be watching closely. But I believe Aaron Rodgers will be a better quarterback because of what he learned from Brett Favre.

So go Packers! Rumor has it you’re America’s team.

AR

3 comments:

The Truth Box said...

Were you really talking football here?

Anonymous said...

Brett was super. Aaron is good and will be even better as time rolls on. But Bart was special.

ldhitch said...

GREAT word (paragraph) pic!